Tired of dealing with dry, splitting, breaking nails? If you want beautiful, long nails that are resistant to breaking and splitting, you need to focus on getting your nails healthy.
From nutrient-rich supplements (to boost your nail health from the inside-out) to proper nail care techniques and the best nail products, featured in this beauty guide are the top 10 tips for growing healthy strong nails.
How To Grow Healthy Strong Nails
1. When shaping your nails with an emery board, never file back-and-forth, as this can weaken your nails. Instead, file in one direction only. While this process might take more time, it’s worth the extra few minutes, as it helps keep strong nails in tact.
2. Since cutting cuticles can result in infection (if cuticle nippers are not properly sterilized or are used incorrectly), it’s advisable to use a gentle cuticle remover solution (applied directly to the cuticle) and then push back the cuticles with a cuticle pusher.
3. To keep your cuticles from getting dry, on a daily basis, apply a moisturizing cuticle oil around the bed of your nails.
4. Since strong nails are created from a healthy body, focus on eating a well-balanced diet consisting of vitamin-dense vegetables and lean sources of protein.
5. To boost the health and strength of your nails, you can also add a Vitamin-B based nutritional supplement (like Biotin) to your diet. (Always consult with a Doctor before starting any new dietary regimen or consuming supplements.)
6. If you constantly deal with dry, brittle nails, beauty products such as Nailtiques (when applied on a daily basis) help create strong nails that are resistant to breaking and splitting. These protein-based formulas help bond the nails, building up their natural strength over repeated use.
7. To reduce any dryness on the skin surrounding your nails, minimize the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers. While these products are great for killing germs, they are also known to dry out your skin. To keep your hands and feet looking soft and smooth, regularly apply emollient-rich creams and moisturizers.
8. While you might be inclined to get a Shellac manicure (which is a professional nail polish treatment that utilizes UV-light activated products that give you a manicure or pedicure that lasts up to 2 weeks without chipping), these types of treatments can weaken your nail beds. Instead, opt to use a Paraben and Sulfate-free nail polish that does not damage your nails.
9. If you want naturally strong nails, never get gel or acrylic tips. While these artificial nails temporarily look great, they are very damaging to your nails, and result in weakened nails when these tips are removed by a manicurist.
10. Never peel off your nail polish. Always use a nail polish remover to gently wipe away old nail polish. Since harsh chemicals (like acetone-based nail polish remover) can weaken your nails, it’s best to use a non-acetone nail polish remover that contains moisturizing agents (to help you create strong nails).
By following the above ten tips, you will be well on your way to growing healthy strong nails that look beautiful.
[Image Credit: Shutterstock]