Strawberry Shortcake is one of those classic desserts that has the perfect amount of sweetness, fluffy white frosting, and juicy, fresh strawberries that simply take the cake. Ideal for summer parties, girls’ get-togethers, and bridal showers, strawberry shortcake is one of those beloved desserts that hits the spot every time.
Celebrate National Strawberry Shortcake Day at Macy’s
Since National Strawberry Shortcake Day is coming up (on June 14th), Macy’s wants to help you celebrate this sweet occasion and learn the secrets to whipping up the most delicious cake you’ve ever tasted. That’s why Macy’s is hosting an #AmericanIcons Cooking Demo nation-wide, in honor of Strawberry Shortcake Day.
Throughout the year, Macy’s recognized American Icons (from music to cooking, and beyond), by hosting a series of fun, free events for customers to come to. On Saturday, June 14th, 2016 (at 6pm), Macy’s (at Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, California) will host a very special cooking demonstration by a renowned pastry and dessert chef in celebration of National Strawberry Shortcake Day.
In addition to the Santa Clara event, strawberry shortcake cooking demos are being held at other Macy’s location across the country. The tickets to this demo are free, however some events across the country require RSVPs. To RSVP or for additional information, visit www.macys.com/events.
To learn how Chef Johnny Iuizzini whips up his famous strawberry shortcake (featured in the recipe card below), check out Macy’s blog for a step-by-step tutorial.
The Santa Clara event will feature a special cooking demonstration by Dries Delanghe, executive pastry chef of Alexander’s Patisserie and host Carolyn Jung. The Belgium-born Chef Delanghe, who began baking at 14, has earned respect as an esteemed chef, having baked at renowned establishments in Paris and in Las Vegas. Swing on by for a delectable sample of his strawberry shortcake!
The event will be hosted by Carolyn Jung, a James Beard Award-winning food journalist who has written for Food Arts, the San Francisco Chronicle and Every Day with Rachael Ray, in addition to her blog foodgal.com. She is also the author of San Francisco Chef’s Table.
First 50 customers will receive a special gift from Pyrex – an American Icon for over 100 years!*
*Event subject to change or cancellation. While supplies last.
Below is the Strawberry Shortbread with Yogurt Panna Cotta & Lemon Shortbread recipe from pastry chef Dries Delanghe of Alexander’s Patisserie.
Final Assembly Directions:
1. Make the panna cotta and portion it into bowls or cups and let it set in the fridge.
2. Cut the strawberries into quarters and place them on top of the panna cotta.
3. Break the lemon shortbread into pieces and put some pieces in between the strawberries.
4. Top the strawberries with some fresh whipped cream and fresh lemon zest.
Yogurt Panna Cotta Ingredients:
240g cream, 180g yogurt, 50g milk, 4g gelatin, 25g sugar, 1/2 vanilla bean
1. Bloom the gelatin in ice water.
2. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds.
3. Add the vanilla bean and the scraped out seeds to the cream.
4. Bring the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla to a boil.
5. Take out the vanilla bean and scrape it out.
6. Add the bloomed gelatin to the warm cream.
7. Strain everything over the yogurt and mix with a spatula.
8. Cool the panna cotta down in an ice bath.
9. Use as needed.
Lemon Shortbread Ingredients:
550g butter, 180g powdered sugar, 5g salt, 15g fresh lemon zest, 5g baking bowder, 530g flour T55, 20g egg yolk, 100g cornstarch
1. Cream the butter in the mixer with the paddle attachment.
2. Add in the salt and powdered sugar.
3. Cook the egg yolk hard (microwave) and put it through a sieve into the butter and powdered sugar mixture.
4. Add in the chopped lemon zest and mix together.
5. Add in the sifted flour, baking powder and cornstarch and mix very short until everything is combined.
6. Roll the dough out between two sheets of parchment.
7. Let dough set in fridge.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F, until golden brown.
For more fab tips, pics and videos, follow Inspirations & Celebrations on Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter.
[Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Everywhere Agency on behalf of Macy’s; however, all opinions and thoughts are my own. Images via HauteChocolate and Macy’s.]