Whether you’re planning a girls getaway to the desert, a fun-filled adventure with the family, or a romantic overnight in the mountains with your beau, today’s travel guide shares tips on how to go camping (in style).
When it comes to camping, I’ll admit that I’m no expert (as I usually vacation at luxury resorts and hotels). But, after a few camping trips thus far, I have finally figured out which essentials any glam girl needs to look great and feel comfortable while on a camping trip. If you’re going camping this season, here are the basics (from beauty products to must-have essentials) that will keep you looking gorgeous on-the-go.
Where to go Camping in the Desert
Last weekend my boyfriend invited me on a camping trip in Pioneertown, California (which is near Joshua Tree National Park and just 40-minutes away from Palm Springs). While we were there primarily for a weekend adventure gathering (called the Aether Rally), it was a fun opportunity for both of us to enjoy the beauty of the desert while experiencing the rugged atmosphere of this western town.
Prior to this camping trip, I had never heard of Pioneertown. But once I started researching it, I quickly realized it was so much more than a rural destination in the middle of the Yucca Valley. Upon viewing photos of this must-see town, I instantly flashed back to watching Westworld (minus the robot hosts, of course). If you’re looking for a charming place to go camping in the Desert, I definitely recommend this bucket-list spot.
What is Pioneertown?
The town was established in 1946 when Dick Curtis shared his dream for a “
Complete with a saloon, bathhouse, sheriff’s office, and other western-inspired buildings, this idyllic desert setting made for the perfect backdrop for our campsite. Not to mention – we were surrounded by breathtaking desert mountains and a forest of majestic Joshua Trees.
When it comes to packing for a camping trip, the less-is-more approach is definitely the way to go. If you’re a glam girl (like me), then this list of essentials is definitely worth making note of. Even if there are no showers nearby, I’ve learned the keys to feeling fresh and looking pulled-together while vacationing in the middle of nowhere.
The Glam Girl’s Guide to Packing for a Camping Trip
- Tent (pack a durable stand-up tent, such as the canvas Springbar tents)
- Water (not only is staying hydrated vital for your health, but it’s also the key to glowing skin)
- Healthy Snacks (trail mix, fruit, and protein bars are easy-to-pack snacks that keep you energized)
- Facial Wipes (face wipes are a must for removing makeup, dirt, oil, etc; plus they double as a mini-shower)
- Sunscreen (SPF is absolutely essential, plus this lavender scented sunscreen acts a natural bug repellant)
- Hand Sanitizer (a hand sanitizer keeps hands clean and sanitary, which is a must for staying healthy)
- Lantern (when the sun goes down, a dimmable LED lantern makes your tent feel like a home)
- Sleeping Bag, Inflatable Mattress & Pillow (because getting your beauty rest is always important)
- Portable Razor (the Sphynx 3-in-1 razor which has a built-in water spray, soap, and a razor is a Godsend)
- Sheet Masks (waking up with a puffy face is never cute, so an anti-inflammatory sheet mask is helpful)
- Dry Shampoo (when you can’t wash your hair, a refreshing dry shampoo is a glam girl’s essential)
- Deodorant (well, this goes without saying)
- Fleece-lined Leggings (fleece leggings definitely keep you cozy on cold desert nights)
- Fitness Apparel (lululemon outfits are ideal for daytime activities and outdoor adventures)
- Sneakers & Boots (these are basically the only shoes you need for camping)
- BB Cream (skip the heavy foundation and contour makeup and go for a dewy look with BB Cream)
- Mascara (because every glam girl still wants to look pretty even while camping)
- SPF Lip Balm (a sunscreen-infused lip balm keeps lips soft and protected while camping)
- Portable Phone Charger (to keep your phone charged, a Mophie or portable charger is a must-have)
What To Do While Camping in The Desert
Now that you know what to pack for a camping trip, now you can think about planning your activities.
One of the most inspiring things about a camping trip is the opportunity to reconnect with nature. From hiking excursions in the mountains to doing sunrise yoga sessions while overlooking the picturesque desert skyline, getting outside is the whole point of a camping trip. Even if you don’t have a body of water near you (which is unlikely while camping in the desert), just getting outdoors is a must.
After a long day of activities, I often like to relax and unwind (especially when my body feels sore). That’s why a yoga mat (which is ideal for stretching) and a few magazines or good books (to keep my mind occupied) are a couple of my must-haves while camping.
Whether you go for the outdoor adventures or just for the scenery, a camping trip is always a fun-filled adventure, even for us glam girls. Since packing the essentials is just the start to a great getaway in the desert (or the woods), remember to bookmark this travel guide for your future camping excursions.
For more inspiring vacation ideas and travel tips, check out the Travel section on Inspirations & Celebrations.
Shop The Guide: