As one of the highly celebrated annual events to return to the Monterey Peninsula every August, Monterey Car Week has become synonymous with being one of the most prolific auto gatherings in the world. From the renowned Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and exclusive VIP parties hosted by luxury automobile brands to exciting world debuts of new vehicles, there’s no shortage of incredible automobile celebrations going on during this time of year.
Having attended a variety of Monterey Car Week events over the years, I’ve learned the art of dressing for each of these special events. To inspire you to look your best at this year’s car week extravaganza (from August 11-17, 2019), Inspirations & Celebrations is launching the new “Monterey Car Week Style Series”. In this new series, discover fashion inspiration and style tips on what to wear to various car week events on the Monterey Peninsula.
Part 1: What To Wear To Auto Manufacturer Exhibits
In Part 1, learn how to dress for auto manufacturer exhibits and demos. From iconic brands like Mercedes-Benz and Aston Martin to revolutionary new car brands like Byton (which produce innovative electric vehicles that will rival Tesla), this style guide shares event-appropriate fashion tips and outfit ideas for auto exhibits & demos.
Many of the auto manufacturer exhibits and demos are often held during happy hour, so there’s usually champagne and hors d’oeuvres being served to guests. That said – these events are still on the conservative side (unlike a normal cocktail party), as they feature top executives (like the brand’s CEO or Head Designer) making special presentations about the automobiles on display (as shown below). For this reason, when dressing for one of these events, it’s smart to opt for professional-looking outfits that exude class and effortless style.
Monterey Car Week Style Guide
If you plan on attending one of the auto manufacturer exhibits & demos, here are style tips to keep in mind:
- Opt for an elegant, understated outfit that is both professional-looking and classy.
- Steer clear of wearing over-the-top statement outfits that could detract from the focus of the display. Out of respect for the auto manufacturers, it’s important to remember that the focal point should be on the cars and the presenters. That’s why choosing outfits that are tasteful and work-appropriate are a wise choice.
- As an example, a timeless wrap dress paired with a simple clutch and classic pumps is a great option.
- As a more casual alternative, a chic wide-legged jumpsuit, straw hat, and designer tote bag (as shown above) exude a sophisticated resort wear vibe, while still being appropriate for an event of this nature.
- When in doubt, keep it classy. Figure-flattering silhouettes are ideal; however, racy, short, or provocative cuts are inappropriate. Leave the rompers and bandage dresses at home for these types of auto events.
- If you love flashy party dresses or statement outfits, those are best-suited for VIP parties (stay tuned… I&C will be sharing a glamorous style guide on those types of car week events soon).
Monterey Car Week Auto Exhibits & Demos
For this year’s Monterey Car Week, below are a few public auto exhibits you can enjoy.
- Aston Martin: Throughout the weekend, you can visit the Aston Martin Club 1913 at Sunset Center in Carmel-by-the-Sea to view the Aston Martin automobiles that will be on display. During the Open House, there will also be specialists on hand to provide information about these 007-worthy vehicles. There is also a Cruise-in & Car Show as well as a special, limited-seating outdoor showing of the classic James Bond film “Casino Royale” on Saturday night, being called the “Bond Under The Stars” event.
- Mercedes-Benz: During Monterey Car Week, Mercedes-Benz always has a large presence in Pebble Beach. Its impressive event tent is prominently on display on the legendary Pebble Beach Golf Links, located adjacent to the Beach & Tennis Club’s tennis pavilion. Here are can see a range of Mercedes vehicles – including both historic cars as well as new cars.
- INFINITI: In celebration of INFINITI’s 30th Anniversary, the brand is partnering with MotorTrend Group to host the second annual Japanese Automotive Invitational (JAI) from August 16th-18th. The three-day event will display Japanese automobiles in a festive and relaxed atmosphere (at the INFINITI Pavilion on Concours Plaza in Pebble Beach) along with presentations from top industry experts. Phil O’Connor, Director, Marketing Communications and Media, INFINITI USA exclaims, “As we connect audiences with our heritage, we will also offer a glimpse into INFINITI’s future with our trio of Inspiration concepts, which hint to a new era of bold design and electrified powertrains.”
To learn more about Monterey Car Week, check out past years’ car week coverage on Inspirations & Celebrations. Stay tuned for more automotive week content coming soon to I&C, as we’re just getting geared up now.