Did you know that National Tequila Day is on July 24th? To celebrate with a splash of pizazz and a major dose of deliciousness, here are Instagram-worthy Tequila recipes (from top hotels, restaurants, and celebrity chefs) that will knock your socks off. From a boozy watermelon basil slush to a spicy tequila sunrise, your friends will think you’ve turned into a master mixologist when you serve up these delectable drinks.
Instagram-Worthy Tequila Recipes
Tequila Recipe by Jay Gore of Hemingway’s Bar & Hideaway; Photo Credit: Parker McGuire:
Lo Siento No Lo Siento
- 1½ oz reposado tequila
- ¾ oz fresh lime juice
- ¼ oz simple syrup
- 1¼ oz fresh watermelon puree
Shake with ice & serve in a coupe glass with a salt/sugar rim. Garnish with a fresh mint sprig.
Tequila Recipe from Montage Palmetto Bluff Resort:
- 2½ oz Pineapple Jalapeno Infused Silver Tequila (see below for recipe)
- ½ oz Agave Nectar
- ½ oz Fresh Lime Juice
- Place ingredients into a mixing tin, shake vigorously. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with dehydrated jalapeno slices.
Recipe for Pineapple Jalapeno Infused Tequila:
- Take the Pineapple and core it then cut into 8 circle shaped slices.
- Use 1 Pineapple slice and 1 Jalapeno per bottle of Tequila.
- Blister the Jalapeno and Grill the Pineapple on the grill
- Let them cool then place them into a container with the Blanco tequila of your choice.
- Let it infuse for 24-48 hours (until it tastes good to your liking)
Tequila Recipe from Cibolo Moon restaurant at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa:
Tequila Old Fashioned
- 2 oz. Milagro Anejo
- 0.25 oz Agave
- 3 dashes of bitters
Stir ingredients over ice in a beaker. Strain and pour. Rocks glass garnished with burnt orange and 3 bourbon cherries.
Tequila Recipe from Grand Velas Los Cabos:
Avocado Mezcalita (serves 1)
- ¼ Avocado
- 2 oz Fresh pineapple juice
- 8 Mint leaves
- ¾ oz honey
- 1 ½ oz White tequila
Add ice and liquefy all ingredients until stiff. Serve and enjoy.
Tequila Recipe by Adam Baca of Trademark Taste + Grind:
- 2 oz of Altos Tequila
- ¾ oz of Red Pepper Syrup (see recipe below)
- ¾ oz of Lime Juice
Red Pepper Syrup:
- 1 red pepper with seeds and stem removed
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of warm water
- a pinch of sea salt
Blend all Red Pepper Syrup ingredients for 2 minutes then strain with a tea strainer. Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin and shake well. Pour over fresh ice in a rocks glass and garnish with an orange slice.
Tequila Recipe by Chef Eddie Hernandez in his cookbook, Turnip Greens and Tortillas; Photo Credit: Angie Mosier
Tequila-Mango Smoothie (Makes 1 drink)
This is similar to a frozen margarita, with a tropical twist. I like to dip the rim in a mixture of salt and chile de árbol first so the salt and the spiciness contrast with the fruit.
- ½ lemon or lime wedge
- Chile Sea Salt (below)
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1½ ounces gold tequila
- 1½ ounces Lemon Syrup (below)
- 6 ounces ice cubes
Rub the rim of a margarita glass with the lemon wedge. Pour the chile salt onto a small plate and dip the rim into the salt. Puree the mango, tequila, lemon syrup, and ice cubes in a blender until smooth. Pour into the glass and serve.
Chile Sea Salt (Makes ½ cup):
- ½ cup sea salt
- 2 tablespoons ground chile de árbol or cayenne pepper
Mix together the salt and chile de árbol. Store at room temperature in a covered container for up to 3 months.
Lemon Syrup (Makes 1½ cups):
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup lemon juice
Combine all the ingredients in a small container and stir until the sugar dissolves. Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
Tequila Recipe from Gaby Brasserie Francaise at Sofitel New York:
- 15 ml Senchai tea syrup
- 30 ml Apple juice
- 15 ml Coconut milk
- 1 Lime wedge
- 50 ml Tequila
Combine and serve on the rocks in a rock glass.
Tequila Recipe by Tequila Sommelier, Amanda Swanson for Añejo, NYC:
1½ oz Chamucos Reposado
¾ oz Ancho Verde
½ oz lime juice
1 oz red pepper puree
2 dashes of Hellfire bitters
Tequila Recipe from Carolyn Pascual for The Social Sipper:
Boozy Watermelon Basil Slush
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 1/2 cups frozen watermelon chunks
- 4 basil leaves
- 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until combined.
Tequila Recipe from In The Raw:
Spicy Tequila Sunrise
- ½-inch slice jalapeño pepper, with seeds
- 1-ounce fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce (1 tbsp) Agave In The Raw®
- 1 ½ ounces silver tequila (100 percent blue agave)
- 4 ounces fresh orange juice
- ½ ounce Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice
- ½ orange slice, for garnish
- ¼-inch jalapeno slice, for garnish
- Club soda, optional
In cocktail shaker or glass, muddle the jalapeno and lime. Add the agave, tequila, and orange juice. Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake just to chill. Pour the pomegranate juice into a tall glass. Fill glass 3/4 with ice cubes. Gently strain the Spice Sunrise into the glass. Garnish with the orange and jalapeño slice.
Tequila Recipe from Suerte Tequila:
- 1½ Suerte Reposado Tequila
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 oz Pineapple Juice
- ¾ Blood Orange Juice
- Garnish blood orange wheel and lime twist
Combine tequila, lime and blood orange juice in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into ice-filled cocktail glass. Add pineapple juice to the previously used shaker. Shake vigorously and strain over top of the cocktail. Garnish with blood orange wheel and lime twist.
Tequila Recipe from Punta de Mita:
- 25 ml. Grapefruit juice
- 10 ml. Agave honey
- 10 ml. Fresh lime juice
- 10 ml. Tequila Blanco infused with Hibiscus
- 25 ml. Tequila Don Julio Blanco (or similar)
- 25 ml. Ancho Reyes Liquor
- 1 drop Citrus Bitters (or similar)
- 10 ml Soda water
- 1 piece of Grapefruit
- 1 gr. Basil Bouquet
- 1 gr. Tajin Chilli Powder
Sea Salt Foam
- 0.08 oz. Soy Lecitine
- ½ oz. Sea Salt
- 5 oz. Water
- 5 oz. Fresh lime juice
Tequila and Hibiscus Infusion
- 250 ml. Tequila
- 10 gr. Dry Hibiscus Flower
Mix tequila with hibiscus in a jar and let infuse for 1 day, mix all ingredients in a large bowl, beat everything with a turbo mixer, cover with plastic and reserve cold. Add all the cocktail ingredients into a shaker except for the soda water, add ice and shake into a glass with fresh ice and garnish and top with soda, add two spoons of sea salt foam, place basil bouquet and add a pinch of Tajin Chilli powder.
To spice up your next party with amazing food and beverage ideas, check out the Entertaining section on Inspirations & Celebrations. Cheers!
[Header image via The Social Sipper; article images c/o featured brands.]