Since Labor Day weekend represents the last (unofficial) weekend of Summer, why not go out with a bang by throwing a fun-filled Labor Day party?! To help you create the ultimate shindig, today’s entertaining guide features unique food and drink recipes from celebrity party planners and food experts that will surely spice up your party.
Labor Day Party Ideas – Drink Recipes
Red, White & Berry Sparkling Cocktail
Get out your patriotic sparklers because this bubbly cocktail will be the ultimate way to toast to the weekend. Courtesy of Kendra Darr, Simply Darrling, this festive cocktail recipe is a must for any Labor Day party.
- 1.5 oz Smirnoff Red, White, & Berry Vodka
- 3 oz Sparkling Blackberry Juice
- Frozen Blueberries & Strawberries
In a glass, mix together the Smirnoff Red, White, & Berry vodka with the Sparkling Blackberry Juice. Top with frozen blueberries & strawberries.
Cheribundi Moscow Mule
Mix all the ingredients together and serve over ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and a cherry.
Summer might be winding down, but we still have one last summer holiday to look forward to this season. So send off summer the right way by whipping together this delicious Labor Day cocktail created by celebrity caterer Andrea Correale of Elegant Affairs.
1 oz Raspberry Vodka
1 oz Tequila
1 oz Orange Juice
1 splash of Grenadine
1 splash of Blood Orange
1 Blood Orange slice for garnish
Pour the tequila, vodka, orange juice, and blood orange syrup into a rocks glass with ice. Stir. Slowly pour the grenadine around the inside of the glass; it will sink and slowly rise to mix with the other ingredients naturally. Spear a blood orange slice with a toothpick and lay across the top of the glass.
Labor Day Party Ideas – Food Recipes
Serves: 10 / Prep: 40 min / Cook: 10 min
- 1 1/3 cups Community® French Roast coffee, brewed
- 2 tbsps. firmly-packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsps. ketchup
- 2 tbsps. dark corn syrup
- 2 cups Community® French Roast coffee, brewed
- 1 18oz bottle BBQ sauce of choice
- 2 tbsps. firmly-packed dark brown sugar
- 4 pounds ground chuck
- 2 tsps. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
For baste: In a medium saucepan, whisk together brewed coffee, brown sugar, ketchup and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until reduced to ¾ cup, about 12 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
For sauce: In same saucepan, whisk together brewed coffee, BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
For burgers: In a large bowl, gently combine ground chuck, salt and pepper. Divide into 10 portions and shape each into a 4-inch patty.
Spray grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Grill burgers for about 10 minutes, turning and basting with coffee baste occasionally. Serve on hamburger buns with BBQ sauce, bacon, American cheese, lettuce, sliced tomato and grilled onions.
Grilled Peach Salsa Chicken
Aside from juicy hamburgers, another great food option is succulent salsa-topped chicken. This is a great, healthy alternative to serve guests, and adds a bit of variety to your table.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 jar Mrs. Renfro’s Peach Salsa
Place 4 boneless chicken breasts in container and pour 1 jar of Mrs. Renfro’s Peach Salsa evenly over it. Let marinate overnight in refrigerator. Grill over medium heat, turning occasionally until done.
Shredded Chicken, Kale, Quinoa and Avocado Salad
Makes approximately 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (or 1 cup toasted sesame seeds)
- 1 organic chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 8 cups chopped kale, spinach, or arugula leaves
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and toss with dressing to serve. It’s that easy.
Orzo and Brussels Sprouts Slaw
One of the tastiest side dishes you can have at a Labor Day party is slaw. But instead of traditional coleslaw (which isn’t a healthy option anyhow), why not go for a healthier twist on this classic dish? This orzo and brussels sprouts slaw comes courtesy of Pasta Fits.
- 4 oz. orzo
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup/1 oz. dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup/1 oz. toasted chopped walnuts
Yogurt-Dijon Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup/2 oz. low-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Yogurt-Dijon Dressing: Meanwhile, whisk together yogurt, oil, mustard, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Stir in chives.
In large bowl, toss together pasta, Brussels sprouts, shallot and dressing. Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
Patriotic Yogurt Parfait Pops
To help guests cool down at your sizzling hot Labor Day party, hand out these patriotic yogurt parfait pops that hit the sweet spot. Just a bite into these delectable desserts will have your guests craving for more. This easy dessert recipe comes courtesy of graze snacks.
- 1 quart plain Greek yogurt
- ¼-½ cup milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup fresh berries
- graze stars & stripes snack
- graze strawberries & cream granola topper
Mix together yogurt, milk and honey. Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and add in fresh berries. Top with your favorite graze snacks for a delicious parfait layer. Insert popsicle sticks, freeze and enjoy!
Labor Day Party Ideas – Decorations
Since a Labor Day party wouldn’t be complete without fun-filled party decorations, celebrity event designer Anthony Taccetta of Anthony Taccetta Event Design has shared with us some of his creative, festive and useful ideas for decorating your seating area and tabletops for your end-of-the-summer bash, without breaking the bank:
- Save your tomato sauce cans to use as rustic vases
- Fill jars with dried, uncooked pasta or breadsticks instead of flowers
- Save corks for fillers in vases/ glass containers
- Save glass bottles to use as candle holders or more vases for flowers
- Use fresh herbs around the table for decoration
How do you plan on spending Labor Day weekend?
For more fab tips, pics and videos, follow Inspirations & Celebrations on Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter. To win fab goodies, enter the Inspirations & Celebrations’ Monthly Giveaway.
[Images & recipes c/o featured contributors. Some affiliate links included.]