The iconic fashion designer behind the quintessentially preppy and playful fashion line, Lilly Pulitzer is the remarkable woman herself, Lilly Pulitzer. In honor of her recent passing (on Sunday, April 7, 2013), the intention of this post is to celebrate the life of Lilly Pulitzer, and recognize her for the incredible contributions she made to the fashion industry, and to women across the world.
Known for creating feminine apparel and accessories that feature upbeat, cheerful prints and fabrics in bright, lively colors, Lilly Pulitzer’s name has become synonymous with Palm Beach-inspired fashion. Having designed the “classic shift dress”, Lilly’s designs first became popular among socialites and celebrities in the early 1960’s. The defining moment that catapulted her career as a fashion designer was when Jacqueline Kennedy was spotted wearing one of her designs on the cover of LIFE Magazine.
Ranging from intricate lace and eyelet detailing to vibrant patterns, the Lilly Pulitzer line continues to shine decade after decade. Featured here are several pieces from the Lilly Pulitzer collection that epitomize her classic, preppy, and polished aesthetic.
Whether it be styling the right outfit, looking good in glasses, or finding treasures in your closet, ultimately as fashion bloggers we share our fashion story. Through words or through photography, this roundup takes a closer look at making life more beautiful, fashion icons like Lilly Pulitzer who passed away over the weekend, Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli.. and the downward spiral of the house of Saint Laurent. What are we going to do to keep the world beautiful? Sustainable fashion and shopping our closets? And how will we document it.. there are fantastic photo tutorials in the mix to.
Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup, April 11th
- Aesthete News: Saint Laurent Goes Rogue with Marilyn Manson and More
- Clever Little Buttons: Fashion Icon Lilly Pulitzer – I will Miss Her
- Coco and Picasso: “Fashion is a B*tch”
- Corrine Monique: The Year of the Serpent
- DIY Doyenne: Iconic Figures in Fashion: Chanel and Schiaparelli
- Ethical Fashion Blog: Is there a sustainable fashion revolution taking place?
- Fashion is Evolution: Adventures in Free-lensing
- Floral & Flannel: Four Eyed and Fabulous
- Inspirations and Celebrations: Designer Spotlight – Lilly Pulitzer
- Magnolia Reverie: Some tips for self-portraits
- Margo and Me: California Coachella Cool
- Miss S.J.: J Brand Denim Dedication at The Dressing Room
- Oh to be a Muse: What’s Your Shoe Game Like?
- Rose and Pine: Spring Florals for Under $85!
- Real Girl Glam: 4 Ways to Wear Boyfriend Jeans
- Tailor Spy: Welcome to Buttons State!
- Twelve52: Does Beauty Blogging Make Us More Self-Conscious?
- The Fashionable Wife: Shopping Your Closet
- The Photogramps: 10 Tips for Great Blog Photos
- Wishing for Chanel: Dynamic Denim Mary Katrantzou/Current/Elliot collab
5 Comments on “Designer Spotlight – Lilly Pulitzer”
great post – I love Lilly Pulitzer’s prints! sad she’s gone…
Thank you Corinne! She created such a upbeat, happy collection. You can’t help but smile seeing one of her legendary prints.
Jennifer Essad says:
I can’t imagine how many people have worn “Lilly” – she has opened doors for so many entrepreneurs. I would love to find a few vintage pieces – or even the fabric!
Hi Jen! Her prints are so charming, and always put people in a good mood. It’s incredible to see how she stayed true to her vision and style throughout the decades, even when trends changed so drastically.