To help you learn how to lengthen, strengthen and tone your body, Inspirations & Celebrations Fitness Contributor, Jacqueline Hinton (a Los Angeles-based fitness expert and the CEO of Good Citizen) shares 5 benefits of doing a Pilates workout.
Pilates is a whole body exercise that has been around since the 1940’s. Created by the famed Joseph Pilates, who was known for his ability to fix dancer injuries, this method of exercise has taken the world by storm. It is now found in cities across the globe, offering different styles such as mat classes and equipment classes featuring the Reformer, Cadillac, and the Chair. With this workout still creating a buzz almost three quarters of a century later, let’s discuss some of its benefits of this amazing workout.
5 Benefits Of Pilates
- Coordination: This is a key factor to the Pilates workout. Pilates trains you to use differing and opposing parts of the body smoothly and efficiently. This type of workout specifically encourages the coordination of breath and movement. Also, Pilates challenges you to stabilize your spine while enacting arm and leg movements. Coordination specifically connects your mind to your body allowing for greater control of your life.
- Strength & Mobility: By doing either mat Pilates or on any of the apparatuses, each exercise strengthens and stretches the muscles. Therefore, it allows for better quality of movement while, in turn, getting stronger and more flexible.
- Proper Posture: Having good and proper posture is one of the most important and overlooked aspects of our lives, especially with our reliance on technology. With a Pilates workout, proper posture is achieved by strengthening and stretching the muscles that are imbalanced. After only a few sessions, you may become more aware of your bad posture habits and start noticing alignment issues within your body. Also, having proper posture helps your organs function properly.
- Self-Awareness: Self-Awareness is something that isn’t easily obtained in some people. With Pilates, the focus on your body moving properly and in concert with the exercise helps you gain a better understanding of both yourself and the space around you, not to mention your body’s tightness and weaknesses. Being aware of these things will help you live a longer and healthier life.
- Integration of Mind & Body: Being disconnected between these important facets can lead to a disconnect in our everyday lives. This workout improves the relationship between our minds and our bodies by making them work together through proper breathing and symbiotic movement that enhances quality of life.
The Pilates world is constantly evolving. And at my company, Good Citizen, our personal loops (used in Pilates apparatus classes) have taken Pilates to the next level. Good Citizen is making the Pilates workout a healthier and happier experience by having clients now bring their own loops to class with them. Our loops feature bright colors with exciting patterns and unmatched comfort.
Fitness Contributor: Jacqueline Hinton
Jacqueline Hinton is a Los Angeles based Pilates instructor, the CEO of the Pilates lifestyle brand Good Citizen, and a professional dancer with a BFA in Dance from The University of Texas at Austin. Jackie has over a decade in the Pilates industry and has forever changed the world of Pilates by creating the original personal Pilates loop. As a fitness contributor to Inspirations & Celebrations, Jackie shares exercise and fitness tips to help you shape and sculpt your body.
For more fab tips, pics and videos, follow Inspirations & Celebrations on Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter. To win fab goodies, enter the Inspirations & Celebrations’ Monthly Giveaway.
[Photos via Pixabay]