As we transition from Summer into Fall, it’s the perfect time to start updating your place with autumnal home decor. From gilded, metallic accessories to sumptuous fur blankets, today’s home decor guide shares inspiring autumnal home decor ideas from 4 interior decorators that you’re sure to fall in love with this season.
Beginning her design career as a catalog set designer and prop stylist for brands like Pendleton, Nike, and Williams-Sonoma, interior designer Kami Gray (of Kami Gray Interiors in Portland, Oregon) specializes in the sourcing and planning of furniture, finishes, fixtures, and home decor for full remodels, single room makeovers, new home construction, urban living, and airbnb/rental conversions. Today she shares with us her 3 tips when it comes to autumnal home decor updates.
- For rooms without fireplaces, add a tabletop fireplace, which can sit on a dining room table, a coffee table, a console table, or an end table.
- Add chunky, knit throw blankets to rooms in order to create a cozy environment and for added texture and warmth.
- To warm up a blue, white, and grey palette, add oranges and corals, which complement the existing color scheme while simultaneously adding warmth.
Paiman and Sormeh Salimpour, the mother-daughter interior design duo behind Sormeh Lifestyle in San Francisco and Los Angeles, California began by doing interiors for numerous tech companies in the Bay Area. The duo then branched into residential design. Paiman’s world travels and love of antique luxury, and Sormeh’s modern, youthful take from her immersion in styling (as a previous stylist for the Kardashians and Mindy Kahling) create a unique design aesthetic, getting them featured in Elle Decor, USA Today, Racked, and more. Relative to autumnal home decor updates, they believe that little changes can have a big impact.
- Incorporate fur throws, deep florals, refreshed and updated framed photos.
- An easy way to update your home for fall is to let go of the idea that you need big, cluttered, seasonal pieces to swap in and out. Updating your linens or adding a few deeper hued pillows on your couch… A little bit goes a long way.
Interior decorator, Tiffani Stutzman (of Tiffani Stutzman Design in Baton Rouge, Louisiana) offers elegant, yet functional, interior design solutions for busy professionals and families. Tiffani’s work has been featured on CNN.com, FoxNews.com, and in other media outlets. Tiffani has been named one of Thumbtack’s best interior designers in Baton Rouge for 2016 and is a member of the Sherwin-Williams Advisory Panel. Placing an emphasis on luxurious accessories and nature-inspired pieces, here are a few of her suggestions for easy autumnal home decor updates.
- Bring in more metallics. If you have a neutral home in shades of white and gray, adding decorative items in brushed silver can help the room feel cozy, yet elegant. If your décor includes more color, consider brass or copper decorative accents. Mercury glass is another great option. Metallic décor can include candles, picture frames, vases, sculptures, and lighting.
- Add more texture. Instead of accessories in lightweight cotton fabrics, switch to textiles with more texture. This could be a wool throw, a jute rug, faux fur pillows, or a lampshade made from burlap.
- Use décor from the outdoors. Bring in branches from an evergreen tree or large fronds from a fern. Simple vases filled with deep green foliage can add a stylish touch to any room. After leaves have fallen off the trees, consider spray painting twigs or branches a warm gold.
Award-winning style-maker, Charmaine Wynter (the design principal at Wynter Interiors in DFW Metroplex, Texas), is devoted to beautiful, comfortable interiors. Hailed for her distinctive, luxurious living signature look delivers a fast, knowledgeable and creative design experience. Her firm has completed over one hundred projects with an emphasis on comfortable, relaxed, modern living interior spaces. This work has brought her company national acclaim and multiple interior design awards of distinction. With Fall being her favorite season, Charmaine shares her must-haves for autumnal home decor updates.
- It’s so important that what you see sends a visual image that embraces the autumn season. So I like to rotate in artwork that has colours or scenery that reminds me of fall this allows me to quickly change the look of a space by just the canvases I display.
- Homeowners often forget the role fragrances play in our enjoyment of room. I always embrace scents in my interior design projects; a few of my fall additions are: cloves, cinnamon, apple cider scented candles and or cedar scented logs or mesquite wood chips placed in the fireplace.
- For a quick autumn update, I layer throw blankets onto the sofas and atop my bed for easy access.
For more home decorating ideas and tips, visit the Home Decorating section on Inspirations & Celebrations.
How do you plan on updating your home for Fall?
Shop for Autumnal Home Decor:
For more fab tips, pics and videos, follow Inspirations & Celebrations on Google+, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter. To win fab goodies, enter the Inspirations & Celebrations’ Monthly Giveaway.
[Disclosure: Main image via Pottery Barn. Additional images c/o featured interior designers. Some affiliate links included.]